Returning for its eighth year, October 14-23, 2022, the SHINE St. Petersburg Mural Festival will once again ignite the City of the Arts with a diverse collection of public art from renowned local, national and international mural artists. The festival, which has received widespread international attention, is an outdoor art exhibition aimed at celebrating art for art’s sake. During SHINE, 18 new murals including 3 community Bright Spot murals and 2 painted vehicles will be added to the art districts and surrounding neighborhoods of St. Petersburg’s downtown. Artists will be working throughout the week to complete their mural before the SHINE Grand Finale.
This year we are featuring:
THIRTEEN Local Artists!
• Jeff Williams, St. Petersburg; Dream Weaver, St. Petersburg; Van Der Luc, St. Petersburg; Ashley Cantero, Tampa; Egypt Hagan, Tampa; Sydney Prusso, Dunedin; Tasko, Clearwater; Jason Harvin, Tampa; Chad Mize & Friends, St. Petersburg; Alyssa Marie, St. Petersburg; Vitale Brothers, St. Petersburg; Nneka Jones, Tampa; Amy Ilic-Volpe, St. Petersburg
Four National Artists:
• 123Klan, Los Angeles; Imagine, Nepal/Boston; Reginald O’Neal, Miami; Baghead, Miami
Four International Artists!
• James Bullough, Germany; Mad C, Germany; Ben Johnston, Canada; Marina Capdevila, Spain
In addition to the creation of 18 murals, six of those local artists will be participating in a Bright Spot Community Project! These community projects are an opportunity for artists to interact and create a work of art with community members. This establishes a sense of fellowship that results in community pride, belonging, beautification and safety that all leans towards health and well-being…an artful gesture of love.
Shine Mural Festival Activities
• October 14-18: Bright Spot Community Project “Wild Ride” in partnership with the Florida Wildlife Corridor. Alyssa Marie, St. Petersburg is back with another community paint-by-numbers mural, in partnership with and sponsored by the Florida Wildlife Corridor. The organization is commissioning 50 murals across the state of Florida to raise awareness for its important work protecting wild Florida. The community is invited to help paint the mural located at St. PetersBark, 3001 Central Ave from October 14-18.
• October 14: Opening Reception “The Female Gaze” - of A lovingly haunted collection of new works by Perry deVick & Summer Elaine Hu at Mize Gallery from 7-10pm.
• October 15: Morean Arts Center Reception featuring Good Intentions by Tes One and Comes with the Territory: Local Shine Artists from 5-8pm.
• October 15: CARMADA '22: Street Carnival. SEE Live Art Car Painting, PAINT on the NOMAD Art Bus, MAKE your own Mini Art Car & MORE outdoor fun from 10am – 3pm in Childs Park!
• October 15: Bright Spot Community Project “Crossway Crux”. Jason Harvin (Wayward Walls), Tampa will be painting an asphalt intersection mural in Childs Park to help kick off the 8th annual SHINE Mural Festival. Located at 11th Ave South & 46th Street South near the Childs Park Rec Center, the mural is designed to help reduce speed and increase safety for drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists. The mural will be painted Saturday, October 15th in conjunction with the Carmada Street Carnival from 10am-3pm at the rec center.
• October 15: Bright Spot Community Project Carmada Art Car. Nneka Jones, Tampa will live paint a vehicle at the SHINE kick-off event hosted by Carmada. The Carmada Street Carnival features live painting, a show of past art cars, interactive painting with the Nomad Art Bus, family friendly art activities plus food and drink. The event will take place outside of the Childs Park Rec Center, 4301 13th Ave South.
• October 18: Sketch Night with Sketchbook Project – Morean Workshop Space from 7-9pm. Bring a sketchbook (or purchase one) and come draw with SHINE artists! Learn more about the Sketchbook Project and check out some of the artist sketch books from their massive library.
• October 20: It’s an Art, Not a Science: Collecting Great Art – Bayboro Brewing from 7-9pm. Join us for an engaging conversation about how to start your own art collection. The panel features a dynamic group of artists and collectors, moderated by the Museum of Fine Art's Margaret Murray.
• October 21-22: Bright Spot Community Project “We are St. Pete” Trail Community Project. Chad Mize & Friends, St. Petersburg and a select group of local artists and community groups will be repainting the concrete barricades along the Pinellas Trail near 20th Street South. Sponsored by the City of St. Petersburg, this project will take place October 21-22.
• October 22: Shine Grand Finale 2022. VIP: 7-8pm General: 8-11pm. Close out another vibrant year at the brand new Morean Workshop Space (2025 3rd Ave S) in the Warehouse Arts District. The finale will feature custom installations from Miami artist Baghead with live painting and performances from Tampa artist Emily Tan, digital installations from Brian Nichols, Stephen Palladino, Acute Perception and YUNGBLD, live screen printing with WOVE and more. This event is free for all to enjoy. One night only. Food trucks, beer and wine available.
• Bright Spot Community Project “Rise and Shine” at Parc Center for Disabilities. Vitale Brothers, St. Petersburg. Inspired by their late Aunt Nancy, the Vitale Bros will be donating a three-story residential mural to Parc, a non-profit organization serving children and adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
• Bright Spot Community Project Color Wheelz, in partnership with Polaris Slingshot. Amy Ilic-Volpe, St. Petersburg will transform the three-wheeled vehicle with her stunning bright colors and patterns. The one-of-a-kind Slingshot can be seen at various SHINE events including the Carmada Street Carnival on October 15 and the SHINE Finale on October 22. Known widely for its stand-out styling, the Polaris Slingshot is often viewed as a blank canvas, as many owners customize their ride and utilize it as a vehicle of self-expression. With a notable owner’s community in St. Pete and a commitment to the arts, SHINE is proud to partner with Polaris Slingshot for the second straight year.
If you’re interested in supporting St. Pete’s most vibrant event, sponsorship at all levels is still available. Please contact Jenee Priebe at email@example.com or visit our SHINE Sponsorship page.
The SHINE® Mural Festival is an event of the St. Petersburg Arts Alliance, a non-profit, 501 (c)3 dedicated to advocating for the arts and driving arts-related economic impact. We rely on your support to continue producing this world-class event. To make a donation, click here.
The annual SHINE® St. Petersburg Mural Festival illuminates the power of art in public spaces by revitalizing areas, inspiring dialogue, and uniting our community—while cultivating new standards of artistic excellence reflecting St. Petersburg's creative and vibrant spirit. By using the walls and streets as canvas, SHINE transforms our shared spaces into a world-class outdoor gallery featuring top contemporary local, national, and international artists. Produced by the St. Petersburg Arts Alliance, SHINE has created more than 100 murals throughout downtown and the surrounding arts districts since 2015.
The SHINE® Mural Festival is the first in the world to have an accessible audio tour and the technology to instantly connect mural viewers to online content via PixelStix. This interactive technology is now being used by other mural organizations nationwide.